Monday, November 28, 2016

Sales Blog

On a daily basis, sales people crank out messages that are scripted well but lack relevance to a prospect. Barbara Giamanco is a sales and digital media strategist, she cites interesting facts about sales emails. She says that the standard email format when comes to sales provides no value to the potential buyer. A weak sales pipeline is a concern organizations however, the answer is not always to simply do more, but rather to fine tune and improve the messages that companies are sending. As Barbara says, measuring the number of messages sent should not be the only metric, rather, organizations should also measure the number of messages that result in sales activity. It’s hard for an email to stand out to employee, but just how many emails does someone receive on a daily basis. According to Barbara, about 121 and almost 66% of them are ignored and not opened. It is obvious that people are buried in emails and when they do not see that the message will provide something of value to them, they are not going to waste their time in a sales meeting. Sales messages must contain information that is relevant to the buyer if there is any hope for a meeting.

Barbara gives a great example of time wasting message: “For example, I get pitched almost every single day by one lead generation company after another. Without exception, the messages are awful. What these messages tell me is that these are companies (and people) I would never hire to represent me. Here is the latest one:

"Hi Barbara, Could I get a few minutes of your time to discuss about our lead generation service? We might be able to offer a different perspective on how our unique approach can get you in front of the prospective clients you are trying to reach. Are you the best person to speak with regarding this? If yes, do you have any availability today or Monday next week for a quick discovery call? Please let me know the best number to reach you."

Messages like this one are devoid of any relevance to the prospect. Furthermore, as Barbara explains:

  1. “Do not start by asking if you can get a few minutes of someone's time. You haven't given them any reason to say yes. Notice that the first sentence in the email also doesn't make sense grammatically, which does turn people off.
  2. Instead of saying "we might be able to offer a different perspective," tell me what that different perspective is and why it would be important to me.
  3. Not the best idea to say that you have a "unique approach to getting me in front of prospective clients" when you are not using a unique approach yourself. Since the approach wasn't disclosed and since the salesperson is sending me sales spam, I can only conclude that their lead generation tactics are like so many others - generic, ineffective and outdated. I wouldn't hire them to represent me.
  4. When someone asks if "I'm the best person to speak to," it makes me nuts. I realize that in much larger companies finding the right decision maker can be tougher. But with the plethora of business intelligence tools, it isn't as hard as it used to be. In this case, though, I'm a small business owner. It is very easy to determine that I'm the right person. All you have to do is look at my website or LinkedIn profile.
  5. Asking for someone's time on the same day you send the email and thinking they will say yes is pretty unrealistic. The seller does ask about time next Monday but doesn't suggest any time blocks.
  6. Why would I give up my time for a "discovery call". What that says to me is that the salesperson did no research, knows absolutely nothing about me, and wants me to spend time educating her about lead generation needs I might have. You might be asking, why is that a problem? In a word - time. It isn't the buyer's job to educate you. You need to self-educate before prospecting for business. I realize that you won't be able to figure out all you need to know to determine if your solution could be a fit for someone. But I think with the internet, social networks, and business intelligence platforms, you can take a big step in the right direction.”
  
Use these tips to improve your sales ratios and enjoy more success in your career.





No comments:

Post a Comment